Support groups can provide immense support and assistance to people who are impacted by disease.
Some patients with a rare disease may be virtually alone in New Zealand, or there may be just a handful of other cases.
Support groups can make a huge positive difference. Support groups can:
- share direct personal experience
- provide emotional support
- provide short-cuts to information and treatment
- accumulate highly specific information and resources
- effectively represent the interests of their group
NZORD provides resources to help support groups get established and to facilitate their working effectively.
The support group directory is compiled by NZORD, it incorporates New Zealand health and disability support and information groups for rare and common disorders.See our list of Support Groups.